The idea of marketing is all over the place and, unfortunately, so is the average understanding of exactly what marketing is and what is not.
So, let's start there.
Marketing is, at its essence, analysis, planning, strategies and tactics. Before you can create an advertising campaign, sales collaterals, a Website or even a logo, you need to understand the following:
- Who is my customer?
- What is my product or service?
- Why is my product or service of value to my customers?
- How is my product or service sold?
- What differentiates what I do from what other are doing?
- What does it really cost to provide my product or service, including overhead, inventory, salaries and benefits?
- How much can I really sell it for?
- Who is going to provide my product and service?
- What are my competitors doing?
And that's just the start.
Once you have answered the questions above, then it's time to plan your strategies and tactics, develop budgets, timelines and create a "marketing mix" that best meets your business needs.
The marketing mix is the blend of media that is used to get your message out. Where many companies make a mistake is assuming one medium will stand on its own, without the support and integration of the others. For example, they might put up a new Website, but won't have a corresponding email or direct mail campaign to current customers get them to visit the site, perhaps to take advantage of customer loyalty rewards.
So, begin with a plan that covers all the bases, work the plan and then measure the results.
Ready to begin? Contact us today.